Every change of the year is a new opportunity to start over again, set goals and renew the optimism that can heal time wounds and drive us to change and reach. For me, 2018 is my most important year in a long time; 2018 should serve as a turning point for this blog and my career. The following are my goals and promises for the coming year.
Podcast & Videocast / Streaming
I have been asked by readers, sponsors and followers for years about the possibility of a podcast. Honestly, the only factor that has prevented me from podcasting before is my insecurity about my voice; I have no fluent, direct voice like Marc Maron or any other voice personality. What I do have is a wealth of knowledge and many people I have met in my time in this industry, and they all have great stories and information to share.
I really need to come up with a format and start a DWB podcast in 2018. I also bought a green screen and explored OBS, so a video or stream can also be in the making. Keep me honest and keep bullying me about this podcast! Please also send me a podcast format and subject ideas!
I am so happy to go back to what has brought me here!
Find my passion again
Several factors have changed me into a broken man. Personally and professionally, I am not the same person who started this blog. My optimism and big eyes for the future have turned into pessimism, annoyance and a situation in which I do not find much reward in what I have done. Worse, that contempt and depression has affected those around me, including my wife and children, which is simply unacceptable.
This year I have to find the spark that brought me to Mozilla and earned this blog the attention it has gained. I believe that boy is still in me – he just has to go through the mold.
DWB Redesign (and Rebrand?)
The DWB logo could also use an update; after 10 years it seems a bit boring. Changing a logo is a real task, so every logo change will not be a big difference, but I would like to freshen up a bit.
Suggestions welcome for redesign or rebranding.
Make My Mark at Mozilla
Almost six years after my trip to Mozilla, I feel as if I have done nothing remarkable; as no one would know that I was in Mozilla. It has long been my goal to do something special with Mozilla, but I hope that 2018 is the year. I hope that the brand is located somewhere in Firefox, so that millions of users can experience it, but in the short term every unique landmark will do so.
All The Small Things
Some more small performances that would make 2018 a better year than 2017:
- I have not started a popular open source project since my old plug-ins for MooTools. Whether it is a web extension or a small NPM module, I would really like to make something that many people find useful.
- I want to continue my love affair with game and ROM hacking. Creating and modifying games is such a great space; I hope to share my newly found love with you all.
- I evangelize cryptocurrencies, but I would like to better understand the code side of them and share that knowledge with you.
- I want to promote a DWB newsletter or at least an e-mail with the last two weeks of messages on DWB. I look forward to seeing this soon.
- By the end of 2018 I would like to be a React and Redux master, in the same way as I had a full understanding of MooTools. A contribution to React or Redux would be a real bonus.
- I want to have a whole day in which I can look in the mirror and say "David, you are a quality engineer". A whole day where Impostor Syndrome does not exist.
My goals for 2018 are as ambitious as every year that I can remember, but they are incredibly important. This year is a personal or professional year for me personally and professionally. Fortunately, I have the support of all of you to make it happen.