Every fork of Bitcoin brings uncertainty. Uncertainty about value change, long-term use of the fork and how value can fluctuate over time. For Bitcoin owners, one of the big challenges when we figure out how to claim and retrieve the forked coin. Remember that when Bitcoin is forked, you are entitled to the same amount of forked coins as you have Bitcoin Core.
So how do you restore Bitcoin Gold? It is probably easier than you think. Let's do the simple process of claiming and restoring Bitcoin Gold!
take a look.
Please read these notes before continuing:
- Bitcoin Gold was created on October 4, 2017 (forked from Bitcoin Core). You must have held Bitcoin on that date.
- To restore your Bitcoin Gold, you need to know the public key of your bitcoin and .
- If your bitcoin was on a central (ie Coinbase) or a hardware portfolio such as a Trezor, you should wait until Bitcoin Gold is implemented on their service to restore it. This blog post does not help you because these services do not offer you private keys.
- Never share your private key with anyone.
Step 1: Download the Bitcoin Gold application
Start downloading the Bitcoin Gold application on the Bitcoin Gold website. The Bitcoin Gold app is currently available on Mac, Windows and Linux.
This desktop app wants to download all previous transactions, which will be different GBs. This download can be done in the background so you can go to the next step.
Step 2: Open the console
Recovery of Bitcoin Gold takes place within the console of the application. Unfortunately it is not easy to see where the console is so follow these steps:
- In the main menu of the navigation system, select Help> Debugging window
- Select the Console tab
You see a message in red text that warns you not to blindly copy instructions and paste them in this console – pay attention to that advice, but know that the instructions I give are standard, generic and have no relationship with me.
Step 3: Use `importprivkey` to restore Bitcoin Gold
The console has a number of predefined commands that are entered automatically as you type. To claim and restore your Bitcoin Gold in a portfolio created by the application, type:
The answer in a successful recovery is
null . If you do not immediately see a balance in the address of the wallet, do not panic – this means that the ledge has not been fully downloaded and that, as soon as that is the case, you see the balance.
My opinion about Bitcoin Forks is that they are a dilution of the Bitcoin brand. That said, if you own Bitcoin at the time of a fork, you are entitled to the same amount of forked coins as you own Bitcoin. Although forked coins are certainly worth less than Bitcoin core, each asset has value and you should benefit from that value!